Teaching and Mentoring
IMTMA course on System Approach to Grinding
– Teaching assistant (2012, 2013, 2014)
- Teaching assistant for the course – “Workshop on the System Approach to Precision Manufacturing – Grinding Process”, organized by the Indian Machine Tool Manufacturers’ Association (IMTMA).
- The workshop was presented by a team of industry experts and lead by Dr K (Subbu) Subramanian, a world renowned expert in Manufacturing Process Technology. He is the president of STIMS Instritute Inc. – a knowledge management company.
- Planned, organized and executed the lab sessions on grinding process monitoring and diagnostics using Grind Trak™ as a part of this workshop. Also prepared the training material for the lab sessions.
- Taught sessions on the troubleshooting of grinding issues and in-process signal based diagnostics of the grinding system.
- A sample of the organization of the lab-trials and the experiments conducted can be found here.
Training program for new hires (high potential candidates) and their work-skill development
The objective of this program is to induct and develop interns for high-potential workforce with:
- Substantial technical depth
- System thinking and knowledge integration skills
The training involves active engagement and hands-on experience and education. The projects are focused upon their application for business impact.
Learning objectives and deliverables are mutually agreed upon before they come on board and are structured into 3 major areas:
- Short-term projects (3-12 months time-frame)
- Long-term projects (> 12 months time-frame)
Planning is done with a 3 year time-frame, with clearly identified deliverables to the company. Responsible for mentoring and guiding the new joinees, empowering them to achieve the objectives.
I was the first intern in this program. Now, I’m supporting efforts to recruit and train the second intern.
Training program on System Approach to Grinding
- As a part of implementing the in-process diagnostic tool (Grind Trak™) within the company , conducted extensive training sessions at Micromatic Grinding Technologies Limited (Bangalore and Ghaziabad plant).
- The objective was to develop a System based approach to grinding process development and process problem solving
- Trainingswere conducted on:
- System Approach to Grinding
- Use of Grind Trak™
- Grinding Process Problem Solving
- Application Technology
Grinding Technology Forum
- Established a forum – http://grindingtechnology.free-forum.net. (Now, no longer active – platform shifted to blog style at micromaticgrinding.com)
- Objective: To create a knowledge base and a community of people related to the grinding field, sharing their experiences and thus raising the overall knowledge in the field of grinding.
- So far, the forum has 63 registered members – ranging from professionals from industry to students and university faculty interested in the field of grinding.